Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences was established on 1 September 2000 after the binary higher education system consisting of two types of higher education provided by colleges and universities was introduced in Lithuania. Two schools of further education that had shown the best performance results in the national selection process, namely the School of Technology and the School of Economics and Law joined forces to work together. By 2003 a number of other further education institutions – the schools of Landscaping, Art, Medicine, Kėdainiai Jonušas Radvila School, Food technologies – had joined Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences. Since then, the structure of the institution has not changed.
2003 – Finalized structure of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences.
2005 – Institutional accreditation of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences completed with excellent evaluation by international expert panel.
2006 – Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences started the implementation of the first study infrastructure development project funded by the European Union for training geographic information system specialists.
2008 – Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences became the winner of Quality Competition held by Education Exchanges Support Foundation. The first prize was received for Erasmus student and academic staff exchange programme.
2010 – Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences started international studies.
2011 and 2013 – Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences ranked first in the rating of Lithuanian colleges organized by the analytical magazine Veidas.
2012 – The groundbreaking for the new academic building symbolizing the beginning of university campus.
2014 – New academic building and moder sports ground open for our community and society.
In 2005 a group of experts appointed by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Lithuania assessed the achievements and progress of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences following the evaluation procedure established by the law and gave excellent evaluation scores. After the accreditation Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences was granted the right to award Professional Bachelor’s Diploma and Diploma Supplement complying with the European Higher Education requirements.
The history of Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences dates back to the schools of interwar period and post-war technical schools. The present Faculty of Technologies grew from the Pulp and Paper Industry School established in Kaunas in 1945. Similarly, the Faculty of Economics and Law developed from the Technical School of Statistics established in Kaunas in 1954. The history of the other faculties of Kauno kolegija / University of Applied Sciences dates back to even earlier times. The Faculty of Health Care has grown from short-term courses for midwifes started by professor Pranas Mažylis in 1920 and two-year courses for the sisters of mercy run by the Lithuanian Red Cross. In 1941 these courses became Kaunas School of Nursing. Justinas Vienožinskis Faculty of Arts has also grown from the drawing courses when the first Art School in Lithuania was opened at the initiative of the painter Justinas Vienožinskis in 1922. In 1939 the school became a higher education institution. The Faculty of Landscaping has a more diverse history. A Horticulture School opened in Aukštoji Freda in 1920, was transferred to the Faculty of Nature and Mathematics of Kaunas University in 1923 and in 1924 the operation of the school was taken over by the Ministry of Agriculture. In 1925 the school was renamed to Freda Horticulture School of Further Education. Kėdainiai Jonušas Radvila Faculty counts the years since 1993, when Jonušas Radvila College was established in Kėdainiai by the order of the Minister for Culture and Education.
Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences has united the efforts of students, academic staff, alumni, and social partners, joined the variety and potential of different fields of activity and has formed a strong and distinctive organizational culture based on democratic personal and organizational values that have become the landmarks for the present and future activities.
Our institution today
Today Kauno Kolegija / University of Applied Sciences is one of the largest professional higher education institutions in Lithuania, with a community of over 7 600 students, about 1000 employees and over 20 000 graduates, who have successfully established their careers in Lithuanian and foreign companies. The university delivers the first cycle studies in the areas of technology, biomedicine, humanities, social sciences and art leading to the Professional bachelor’s degree. The university has seven faculties and 2 regional departments.
The average student age is 22 years. Tuition of almost two-thirds of the future professionals is covered by the state, while the remaining students pay tuition fees. Over 1 800 students graduate from the university every year.